For ten weeks this summer, from May 22nd thru August 7th (excluding June 12th for VBS & July 3rd), the pastors of SRBC would like to see the congregation break into smaller groups to do a book study on Jerry Bridges’ Respectable Sins. In times past we have offered these kinds of studies as electives; however, since we think this is a great way for all members and regular visitors to practice mutual edification, this will be the Wednesday evening service during these dates. Unless providentially hindered, it would be a blessing to see all of our members sign up and participate.
You can purchase a copy from Amazon (either a printed copy or Kindle eBook). You may also purchase through the church office. Using the form below you can indicate how many copies you’d like and then check out at the end.
The goal of these groups is to encourage one another through prayerful and meaningful applications. At the same time, this is a great way to make new friends in our congregation.
We chose this book for a number of reasons:
- The content of the book is solid and relevant for all of us. At the same time, the reading is light. You do not have to be an avid reader to keep up with the book.
- The topical divisions of the book lend themselves to applications.
- While we will encourage people to get the book and read the assigned chapters, it is not necessary for someone to have read the content to participate in the discussion time.
- Over the last few years, a few of our small groups have used Respectable Sins. We have received great feedback on the book. For those who have read the book already, we look forward to your contributions in these groups.
- This book lends itself nicely to practicing versus such as Hebrews 10:24-25: “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
Realizing that there is more than one way to practice edification through application groups such as these, we feel led to do the following:
- The groups will be intergenerational (Tit. 2). We are asking the Sr. High to join us for the ten weeks. We hope to see people of all ages participating in the same group.
- The groups will include both men and women (1 Cor. 11-14; Acts 1:13-14). In the past, we have provided men-only and women-only groups. These groups will consist of both. Husbands, wives, and teens will be assigned to the same group.
- Lord willing, the groups will consist of no more than 20 people. Of course, we anticipate that some people will be gone for vacation or work obligations at some point during these weeks. Do not let this discourage you from participating when you are in town.
Fill out the form below to register for a group.